Wednesday, May 27, 2009

What a lovely relaxing weekend! Sea Island has changed quite a bit, but it is still one of the most elegant and restful resorts I have ever known. I was so unwound that I even forgot what day it was. We had wonderful food, fabulous wine and probably the biggest room I have ever had. Scott played golf twice and I got my massage. All in all a simply wonderful time.

Then this week it was back to the doctors offices. First, the oncologist. I had been a bit concerned because I didn’t think the tumor was shrinking the way it should. It went down quite a bit at first, but just didn’t seem that different to me lately. After asking me if I examined it everyday (which I do, or nearly so), he thought I was perhaps being over analytical - imagine me, over analyzing something - and he was pleased with the progression of the tumor. Always upbeat and encouraging, he was very reassuring. He is going to continue to watch the progression, or lack thereof, and reassess after my second round of the next type of chemo.

On to the surgeon’s office today. This is the guy who wanted Scott to go with me so we could make a family decision regarding the type of surgery. I did make it clear that with all due respect to Scott, it was my decision. Of course, of course he says, what ever you want we do. Different song this time. Anyway, we all agreed that I should see the plastic surgeon and hear what he recommends, but preliminarily the plan is a bi-lateral mastectomy with reconstruction done at the same time. It will probably take place the first week of September. This gives my body time to recover from the chemo and time to get the boys to their respective new schools.

I have already made an appointment with a plastic surgeon. That was difficult, as if anything in this process has been easy. I didn’t really know who to call, the surgeon recommended 2 different guys and I didn’t really like the qualifications of one of them. I’ll see if I like this other guy when I see him in a couple of weeks. We’ll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment