Tuesday, November 10, 2009

I know I haven’t blogged in a while, but I have been a little overwhelmed with this radiation. It has been more than I thought it was going to be. Everyone had told me it wasn’t going to be too bad. Well they were wrong.

It took a while for my skin to degrade, but when it did, it went like crazy. The area right under my neck was open, weeping, red, basically disgusting. I couldn’t believe how much it hurt every time I moved. Finally, the doctor gave me a day off from the radiation to let my skin heal. Then she decided to move the radiation to just the surgical site.

The radiation seems to continue to perk even after the treatment ends. The site was hot and blistered and getting worse. I went through 4 different creams, 2 of which are prescription.

Finally the area near my neck started to heal, but the surgical site area has gotten worse. I am treating it with hydrogen peroxide and silver sulfadine cream. I was hoping this would help dry and heal.

Anyway, I was still going to radiation every day and slowly but surely counting down the days to only 8 left. Last Tuesday I went at the regular time, but the technician wanted the doctor to see me, because of the condition of my skin. My regular doctor was on vacation so I saw a replacement. He was very concerned and stopped treatment for the rest of the week. I can’t tell you how relieved I was by that. It was really hurting and uncomfortable, not to mention how tired I was. The only down side was this keeps putting the end further and further away.

So last week I had a chance to heal and rest. This was particularly nice because I had a big weekend planned and wanted to be ready to play. I was rested but still have open raw degraded skin, that now is starting to itch.

After a great weekend, I was ready, if not excited, to go back to radiation and start the count down again. Then I got the call. The doctor, back from vacation, was looking at my chart and decided to change my treatment plan. What does that mean? I just don’t know. I guess I will find out today.

No comments:

Post a Comment