Monday, March 23, 2009

So three days later when I woke up, the questions started. Have I lost my hair yet, will I be throwing up for the next 2 weeks, mouth sores, diarrhea, constipation? What is next? Having read about this and anticipated it for many weeks, I was aware of everything that could be happening to me, or not. I hate that phrase “chemo affects everyone differently.” Meaning, I could have any, all or none of those symptoms. Thinking how this has gone to date, I am anticipating all of them.

The first week, I had nausea pretty much all day, every day. Not throwing up, but just that awful, nothing sounds good, not hungry, kind of feeling, like after a hangover. Soup and fresh fruit basically got me through that time period.

The worse symptom though was a woozy head feeling. From my eyes up, my head sort of hurt. It felt stuffed with cotton wool. Advil didn’t help. The only thing I could do was lie down. The lack of motion really helps. Again, was this normal? I didn’t know and don’t know. For a while, every little hang nail will make me wonder if is part of the new normal that is me.

I got through that first week, without too much trouble, thanks to my friends. Without their dinners, poor Scott and Nick would have been starving. I made it to the grocery store with Andrew. Half way through the produce section, I hit the wall. The rest of the way was speed shopping. I was like something from a game show. Cyndy Glazier, Come on down! You’re the next contestant on Cruise Through the Grocery Store In 5 Minutes!

Second week. Every day seems a little better. I am getting stronger, less nauseous, and less woozy headed. I still seem to need a rest in the afternoon, so I try to listen to my body. Rest when needed and go out when I can. But so far, I have still not felt like I did prior to the chemo. Hopefully that is still to come.

1 comment:

  1. So here I am "C" sitting at my desk remembering the first time we met. You were a high school senior taking college courses at Kent State. I was so impressed my girl friend's sister had the ambition and moxy to take on college before she even left high school. It is that sort of drive and will that is going to power you through this C. Go after it and don't stop until you have it conquered. I am wearing a "livestrong" yellow bracelet until I hear from you that you have fought the fight and won victorious. Go for it.

    (mark)

    ReplyDelete